Raw sewage can contain bacteria, viruses, and parasites, and depending on your exposure and the type of sewage, these can cause illness and disease. Here are some important tips to consider when you are experiencing a sewage back-up:
- Assume anything touched by the sewage to be contaminated.
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke in sewage handling areas.
- Wash hands well with soap and water before eating or touching mouth or face.
- Wash hands after touching any surface or item that may be contaminated.
- Immediately wash any wound that has come in contact with the sewage.
- Shower and change your clothes before leaving the area, and launder these clothes separately.
- Be sure you are up-to-date on your vaccinations, including tetanus and diphtheria.
- Contact a doctor immediately if illness occurs.