Colorado Springs Mold Remediation
Preventing and Controlling Mold Growth
Although it is impossible to remove all mold, it is important to prevent and control any existing mold. Here are some tips on handling mold:
- Ventilate rooms where mold is likely to grow, such as the bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, crawlspace and basement.
- Structural wood floors should be sealed, crawlspace soil should have a plastic layer over it, and have ventilation between the ground and floor.
- Air out your home regularly with fresh air
- Regularly clean your home.
- Fix any leaks in your roof, siding, or foundation.
- Have gutters on your house and be sure to have the downspouts end at least 5 feet away from your home.
- Slope the ground away from your house.
- Fix any leaky pipes.
- Vent the clothes dryer outside.
- Turn off any humidifiers if you see condensation on windows or surfaces, and empty the water basins regularly.
- Open the doors between rooms to increase circulation.
- Ensure carpet on concrete floors does not absorb water.
- Inspect and clean furnaces and air conditioners regularly.
If you have mold, contact us today or call us at (719) 452-3000.
Once you discover any mold, be sure to address the problem as soon as possible, as typically quick action can ensure full restoration. Painting or covering up the mold will not fix it, so be sure to first fix what is causing the mold, such as a leaky pipe. Here are some steps for quickly fixing the mold issue:
- Once you have addressed the reason for the mold, dry the entire area. Seal the area from the rest of the house, so the mold cannot spread.
- Physically scrape or scrub the mold to remove it.
- Disinfect the area, allowing the disinfectant to soak on the mold for 15 minutes.
- Textiles with mold should be discarded. Some items may be professionally cleaned, but typically fabrics cannot be restored.